29 Jul The Lauderdale Lakes 2013 Budget. #epicfail.
[cleeng_content id=”376371065″ description=”Why stop now? It’s just getting interesting!” price=”0.99″ referral=”0.10″]We’ve broken down the 2013 Lauderdale Lakes budget. Here’s our Executive Summary:
- Balanced budget- my ass.
- “The plan”- my ass.
- Totally ignores the $4.8M deficit in General Fund and the $1.7M in the fire fund (plus some other funds).
- $20K in performance bonus to be paid this year. Guess to who?
- This is what happens when you put a secretary, I mean Finance Director, in charge.
- The first thing to highlight is the CRA TIF- they are showing the $777K as both a decrease in revenue and as an expense.
- At the bottom of this sheet- the General Admin and DS do not match the totals on the backup sheet.
- They are now showing in CRA the TIF from the other agencies as misc revenues. I think by Florida Statute definition that is TIF- are trying to hide it from the other agencies?
- Also look at transfers- $470K- still using transfers to balance the budget and part of the transfers are from the fire fund which has a deficit of $1.7M.
- Another error- they are not showing the debt in each of the funds- does not match the details sheets.
- The total on this worksheet does not match the totals on page 1. Not a balanced budget?
- Also no breakout on what debt this applies to..
- Also note the performance incentives of $20K- to who? (why not use this to cover the $16K they are trying to take away from the Boards).
- Here’s the $16K for the boards that caused the ruckus.
- Making the boards pay for the City mismanagement?
- Why not use the $20K above- :JA: and :ME: do not need performance bonuses
- Debt sheet from the budget. The second debt is the balloon payment to Suntrust.
- Do not see any where in the budget where there is enough to pay this.
- Probably plan on refinancing this but do not see that disclosed anywhere either.
- And this is not debt paid by GO Bond debt service millage- that is shown separately.
- Almost 1.5m should come from Stormwater – see next page only budgeted $208K.
- Remember :JA2: has to save the cash in Stormwater.
- Debt service only $208K- did not include this on page 1 like they should. Deceiving?
- What is the $175K transfer to GF for?
- All the people working in Stormwater are paid for by the Stormwater Fund.
- Again- the debt shown here is not on pg 1 like it should.
- What is $75K transfer to GF for?
- Same as above- all people are paid out of Gas Tax fund.
- Transfer to GF of $150K – for what?
- This is the Waste Management contract.
- Also what is the capital outlay of $75K in here for-can’t be for WM?
- Fire Fund- again the debt payment here not shown on pg 1.
- Bigger issue- not the showing the transfer of $75K to GF that is on page 1- deceiving. Transferring from a fund with a $1.7M deficit?
- Remember whole OIG issue on using transfers to balance the budget? Maybe the logic is that the fire fund only has a $1.7M deficit while the GF has a $4.8M deficit??
- Alzheimer Fund- now has over a 100% deficit (-$445K versus annual budget of $375K) and not doing anything about it.
- CIP Fund- where is this $1.4m coming from- no fund balance- must be new revenue???
- Grant Fund- only shows a $388K defict in fund balance.
- What about the $1.4M in cash that this fund owes- where is that disclosed?
- Fire fund- look at trend- EMS expenses are steadily decreasing while the Fire SA Fee expenses are steadily increasing.
- This does nothing for the $1.7M deficit in the fire fund either.