To: John Scott, Broward County Office of the Inspector General
From: Chaz Stevens, MAOS Office of the Inspector Genius
Hope these words find you well.
Just an update about what’s happening over in Lauderdale Lakes. As you will recall, your first report identified the use of special assessment fund transfers to balance the budget. I am unhappy to report that not only does that practice continue in 2012, the City has extended it all the way into their 2017 projections.
Worse, it seems, just got :worser:.
Continuing, the numbers provided by the City to the County don’t make a lick of sense. To wit:
- Inflated revenue numbers, such as State revenue sharing as identified in your report, continue in 2012.
- The FY12 financial reports, even those certified by the Mayor, have varying amounts of revenue received and cash balances (even those reported for the same period).
- Most distressingly, the City presented a 2012 cash flow analysis which contained grossly overstated numbers necessary to support their fictitious financial reports.
We strongly believe the City’s action are exposing the taxpayer of Broward County to considerable financial liability.
The merriment continues and the lies get piled on thicker and thicker.
For, it’s nearly six months later, and the FY11 audited financials are still missing in action. Yet, even in spite of this, the City and its dog and pony show were able to secure funding from the Broward County Commission. The County, presented with a long range (2013-2017) financial plan using 2012 as the base year, has not yet been informed of the City’s upcoming significant financial amendments.
Apparently, the depths of Commissioner Dale Holness‘s depravity knows no limit.
Most distressing is the City’s continued improper practice of using special assessment funds. No longer the exception, this has become the rule. And, come this July, when the General Fund is bone dry, it will be all out war on the Gas Tax, Stormwater, Fire Fee, and Building Inspection funds.
Finally, the City’s contracting actions and use of consultants has not improved.
For instance, a firm by the name of DSI, responsible for preparing the long range financial plan, continues to receive money and no-bid contracts seemingly based solely on their relationship with the City Attorney and City Manager.
As you know, we’ve written to your Office about the CRA library parking lot construction not being properly solicited. And in a few days, we’ll be filing a complaint with the State Attorney regard Waste Management’s franchise agreement with the City.
Perhaps, when you consider Jonathan Allen and company, you’ll remember this quote by Andrew Cuomo.
I’ve been not only articulating the dissatisfaction with Albany, I’ve been acting on it. I’ve been very aggressive in bringing public integrity cases and public corruption cases and bringing cases against sitting legislators.
As they say, corruption never sleeps.
All the best to you.
BOCA.DENTIST available now! Get it today!
- There are over 2 million dentists working in the world, and many rely on technology to operate a successful practice.
- From finding patients online, to providing patient information portals, the importance of a visible, functional, and market-specific can’t be understated.
- BOCA.DENTIST provides the perfect TLD option for dental practices, and is a relevant, targeted domain extension option made explicitly for the dental world.
- Use BOCA.DENTIST to help better connect with current and new patients.
Interested in buying this domain? Drop us a line and let's see if we can take your business to the next level.
Tips and Public Leads
Please use this website to report suspected corrupt or criminal activity. Due to the high volume of information that we receive, we are unable to reply to every submission; however, we appreciate the information that you have provided.Submit an anonymous tip.