We see the budget amendment (Ordinance 2013-24 — see below) on the agenda for July 22 Meeting-
“To reconcile the General Fund and Solid Waste and Recycling Fund” – City Manager Jon Allen talk for let me take money from Solid Waste now since it is now the cash cow and I need to help my General Fund.
Broward County is giving the City $312,964 in recycling fees.
Queue Stacy Ritter‘s outrage.
How does Allen want to spend it? $262,690 to the General Fund and $50,000 to Solid Waste. Recycling from Solid Waste program to the General Fund?
The Solid Waste Fund is funded by a Special Assessment- aka restricted funding.
Let’s look at what he wants to fund in the General Fund-
- Commission Retreat- $3,000 (If I was a Commissioner I know I would not say not in a million years)
- Legal Advertisement- $2,690
- Information Technology- $10,000
- Commission Chambers Audio Equipment- $25,000
- and on and on
- Biggest sham- Budget stabilization for the General Fund- $100,000.
What does any of this have to do with Recycling in Solid Waste? Nothing at all.
To Allen, it is free money for him to play, to everyone else — it is legally restricted money.
But the question is why- we will tell you why…
As of September 30, 2012 the Solid Waste Fund had a fund balance reserve of over $1 million and over a $1.1 million cash balance. It did not need help. So good in fact was Solid Waste that Allen suggested a $24 reduction in the Solid Waste Fee for 2014. So good in fact that Allen can now raid the Solid Waste Fund for $262,690 in General Fund expenses (illegal we would think). Why does he not further decrease the solid waste assessment fees for 2014 to help the residents ( a $1M reserve for an annual contract $1.3M)?
This is not the Allen Way- the residents do not need a rebate, I can move funds anywhere I want, and the Commission will sign off on anything.
Drink the Kool Aid.
BOCA.DENTIST available now! Get it today!
- There are over 2 million dentists working in the world, and many rely on technology to operate a successful practice.
- From finding patients online, to providing patient information portals, the importance of a visible, functional, and market-specific can’t be understated.
- BOCA.DENTIST provides the perfect TLD option for dental practices, and is a relevant, targeted domain extension option made explicitly for the dental world.
- Use BOCA.DENTIST to help better connect with current and new patients.
Interested in buying this domain? Drop us a line and let's see if we can take your business to the next level.
Tips and Public Leads
Please use this website to report suspected corrupt or criminal activity. Due to the high volume of information that we receive, we are unable to reply to every submission; however, we appreciate the information that you have provided.Submit an anonymous tip.